C++ and Beyond 2012 begins on Sunday evening in Asheville, North Carolina! I’ve lived here for the past 7 years, and I’m so excited to be able to welcome you to this beautiful state. We may get lucky and have nice weather and fireflies :)
What follows is information I think you’ll find useful as C&B draws near:
- PDF Handouts. You should have received an email message earlier today telling you how to download the PDF version of the presentation materials. If you didn’t receive the message, please let me know.
- Background Survey. The same email that told you about the presentations’ PDF will have told you about a brief background and interest survey we’d like you to fill out. Scott, Andrei, and Herb take this information into account when making their presentations, so please invest the minute or two needed to answer the questions.
- Notebooks and Name Badges. Assuming you’re staying at the Grove Park Inn, your notebook and name badge will be delivered to your room by the hotel staff. This should happen by 7 pm on Sunday, assuming you have checked in by that time. If your materials are not delivered for some reason, or if you are not staying at the Inn, your name badge will be available at the C&B reception on Sunday. If you don’t come to the reception, I’ll have your badge and notebook waiting for you on Monday morning at the table outside Grand Ballroom A (where all technical sessions will take place). If you elected the PDF-only handouts option, please don’t accept a notebook, even if the hotel mistakenly offers you one, because we didn’t prepare notebooks for PDF-only people.
- Sunday Evening Reception. It will take place 7:30PM-9:30PM on the Sammons Balcony. Light refreshments, coffee, tea, and soft drinks will be served, and we will provide a cash bar for those who would like to partake. Please wear your name badge where we can see it. You may know who we are, but we don’t always know who you are, and we’d like to.
- Wi-Fi Access. You will have complimentary wireless internet access throughout the hotel. Use the “guest” SSID when connecting to the wireless internet.
- Map. Here is an annotated map showing where the various events will be held.
- Meals. Your registration includes the Sunday night reception, breakfasts, and lunches for the three days of sessions. If you have any dietary restrictions, please contact me as soon as possible so that I can make arrangements with the hotel catering staff.
- Weather. The current forecast calls for chance of showers each day with high temperatures of around 85F. I suggest you check the latest forecast before you pack in order to decide what to bring with you.
Please let me know if you have any comments on the registration process or on any aspect of the service you received prior to the event. We’ve done the best we can, and while we know we can do better, we don’t necessarily know how. Please tell us either on the comments section of the background survey or via email.
See you soon!
Customer Service Concierge